WHAT IS UNDERGROUND LEAK DETECTION?
Water leak detection equipment allows us to pinpoint water leaks in residential and commercial water lines. Leak detection equipment locates leaks by using acoustic equipment, which detects the sound or vibration produced by water as it escapes from pipes under pressure. This high-tech tool includes listening devices such as listening rods, headphones, and ground microphones or sensors.
If your water bills are continuously high and all other sources of water loss have been ruled out, this equipment can locate the source. This equipment helps locate leaks under concrete slabs, in walls, swimming pools, and hot tubs.
HOW DOES UNDERGROUND LEAK DETECTION WORK?
Our plumbing Technician wears high-quality headphones that are connected to a ground sensor. The headphones clear sound while reducing interference from surrounding noise. One of two specially designed sensors listens for the gurgling or the hammering noise usually associated with a cracked pipe below ground. The first type of sensor locates leaks through hard surfaces like concrete, asphalt, and tile. The second type of sensor picks up leak sounds through soft surfaces such as grass or carpet, or it can be used like a contact probe on above-ground pipes or hydrants. For especially hard to find leaks, we use another mechanism that adds air to the line, increasing water pressure. This amplifies leak sounds, making them easier to locate.
SIGNS THAT YOU MAY HAVE A WATER LEAK:
- Unusually high water bills.
- Water meter readings increasing when water is not in use.
- Chronic sewer backup problems.
- Running toilets and dripping faucets.
- Running water sounds when no water is in use.
- Spongy, soft, or discolored walls.
- Musty odors from floors, walls, drains lines, or sewers.
- A cracked or unusually damp foundation or slab.
- Warm areas on concrete floors, mildew, or excessive moisture under carpets.
- Unusually wet or moist areas in your landscape, often appearing very healthy (or unusual) in plant or grass growth.
HOW CAN I SAVE MONEY?
Underground leak detection helps you lower costly high water bills. It
prevents mold from forming in the leakage areas. Long-term water leakage can damage your property foundation and grounds. This is the most cost effective way to rule out the source of water leakage, once tradition methods are ruled out.